Fireworks are the symbolic celebration of our Independence Day. Love or hate them, fireworks have and will be around forever (they were created 2,000 years ago) because they are fun and bring excitement. Firework's vibrant colors can be enjoyed by thousands, if not millions of people, at the same time, which is one of the reasons they are so popular. Another one of the most appealing aspect of fireworks is that they can be reasonably safe if used with proper care. But what is proper care? In this article, we will go over some firework safety tips so that everybody can enjoy fireworks for this year's 4th of July!
- Never point fireworks at people. This is one, if not the most important rule when using fireworks. If this rule is followed, most accidents will be avoided.
- Sparklers can be very dangerous. Sparklers burn at about 2,000 degrees! Thats hot enough to melt some metals. In 2019, sparklers had the highest percentage on injuries of any other firework. So, do not let kids use these without strict parental supervision.
- Do not let children play or light fireworks. This is dangerous because children can burn themselves with the lighter or firework sparks. Children can also knock the fireworks over when lighting, which can cause them to fire haphazardly.
- Watch out for the sparks fireworks release when lit. These can be very hot and can cause severe burns.
- Keep a water hose or bucket to douse fireworks after use or if any mishaps occur. Putting water on used fireworks prevents relighting and prevents any ambers from causing fires.
- Never pick up or try to relight fireworks that have not ignited. Doing this could cause an accidental firework shot in a dangerous location.
- Never carry fireworks in your pockets or shoot out of metal or glass containers. This can cause accidental explosions and mishaps.
- Always watch your dog around fireworks. This includes the aftermath of the fireworks because they can be poisonous to dogs.
- Always use your best judgement when using fireworks!
Fireworks are a fun, family activity that everyone can enjoy when proper safety is used. Pair firework safety with our grill safety tips article to ensure you, your family, and friends stay as safe as possible! Stay safe and have a fun 4th of July! God bless!